We’re quickly approaching winter, which means it’s time to start planning how we’re going to make it through the next few months. Here are a collection of Trillium Team’s top tips for staying warm and keeping your spirits high during Haliburton’s winter season:
1. Dress in layers: this is key for keeping warm. Start with a layer of long underwear, and then add a shirt, sweater, and coat on top. Make sure your coat is waterproof and windproof – you don’t want to be cold and wet all winter!
2. Get outside: even when it’s cold outside, getting some fresh air is important. Bundle up and go for a walk, go skiing or snowboarding, or just build a snowman with the kids. Snowball fights are a great go-to as well, so long as you don’t aim for the face! Some fresh air will help keep you active and remind you that winter isn’t so bad after all.
3. Stay indoors: if going outside isn’t your thing, there’s no need to worry. There are plenty of things to do indoors during winter too, such as: read a book, watch a movie, bake some cookies – the options are endless!
4. Drink warm drinks: drinking something warm will help keep you cozy on those cold days. Try hot chocolate, tea, or coffee. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, why not try a mug of apple cider or spiced wine?
5. Get a fire going: one of the best things about winter is sitting by the fire and warming up. If you have a fireplace, use it as often as possible! Outdoor fires are effective too, if it’s not too cold outside!
6. Install some snow tires: if you don’t have them already, we recommend installing some snow tires on your vehicle. They’ll help keep you safe on the roads during winter, and they’ll make driving in the snow a lot easier.
7. Participate in community activities / events: a great thing about the Haliburton Highlands is that we have activities year-round! To find activities of all kinds, we highly recommend checking out the MyHaliburtonHighlands Winter Adventures page. Or, if you’re on the hunt for community events, check out this page from the same website!
8. Contact the Trillium Team if you’re selling: the winter season, with less competition and inventory on the market, is the perfect time to list a home or cottage. Not only will your listing receive more attention, you’ll also have greater negotiating power on a relatively quiet market.
We hope these 8 tips and tricks will help winter visitors, and perhaps even residents, of the Haliburton Highlands this winter!
If you have any questions about selling or buying a home/cottage in the winter months, contact us!